Saturday 9 February 2013

William Lennon boots

A few years ago I needed a new pair of traditional leather cycling shoes as modern ones often won't fit with 'old fashioned' clips and straps that many of my old bicycles are fitted with.
I looked around but could'nt find anywhere that made or sold them.
A few weeks later a friend told me of William Lennon's in Stoney Middleton in Derbyshire but by that time I'd managed to find a pair through a member of The Veteran Cycle Club .

A few years passed and again I 'needed' new footwear and again the name of William Lennon came up, this time I needed a pair of 'work' boots, I searched the net and this time found their website which I quickly perused.
I decided on a pair of 78tc boots in brown, I phoned to make an appoinment to view and try on a few pairs as most are made to order.
 A week or so later I visited the shop in Stoney Middleton and was immediately transported back around 100 years, the factory had many old and still working machines and these coupled with highly skilled staff and traditional building methods make boots to rival anything else on offer!
I ordered my pair and was able to change the leather for a 'zug' style grained leather, waiting time was around 6 or so weeks.

I was phoned by them roughly 7 weeks later and collected my spanking new boots shortly afterwards.
I was extremely pleased with the boots, at first they were pleasantly firm but soon 'broke in' to a very comfortable pair of boots easily comparable with my Loake Bedales.

I've had them now for around a year and they've been used at least once a week occassionaly twice for a 5 or so hours a time in all weathers over all types of terrain, they've not leaked or split, no seams or stitching has come loose...in effect they do exactly what it says on the tin only with real presence.

I polish them with Kiwi every other time I use them and they've developed a nice patina, would I buy any more boots from Lennons? well I was impressed by their service, their friendly staff, their old world workshop but most of all by the quality of their products in short you betcha I would...i fact I am already planning my next pair, here's few shots a year down the line;






 
Here's a couple of shots when I recieved them;

 
Here's a link to the site and the boots I chose 
 

12 comments:

  1. These are beautiful,the zug leather works really well with the style. Did it cost any extra for this?

    I'll be passing through Stoney Middleton in the next few days, and am planning to pop in to make an order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mossley,

    They are fantastic and VERY comfortable now though they were pretty much ok from the off!
    If I remember correctly they were about £130 including extras but I do think it was worth it, if I am honest nothing else out there comes close for the money.

    If I was you I'd phone first, you'll love the factory as it's like stepping back in time...parking can be fun though!

    Tell them where you saw them and point them to my blog if you will....you'll not regret buying them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, £130's pretty good compared with the competition. I wondered whether it might be worth calling first, so thanks for the tip, I will.

    I'd been wondering about the 107F Field Boot because of the zug leather, but it is more expensive and I do prefer the style of yours. Now that I've seen your photo's, my mind's made up. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you mention that they made the pair for me about 18months since they may still have the order? failing that point them to the blog post for what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously nice looking boots. I have been looking at the WorldWar 1 boots but these are even nicer. The boo texture looks even better in your photos than in the WL site.
    Do any of you have any knowledge of the ww1 boot? http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/world-war-1-replica-boot.html
    I'd like to hear someone else's thoughts before committing to buying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Phil, not specifically however all Lennon's products are of great quality, I believe the Great War society http://www.thegreatwarsociety.com/ use Lennon's boots, an email to them would no doubt secure a response...I'd certainly not hesitate to order from them again in fact I am already planning my next pair....as for leather generally I believe you can specify leather type, I think I had 'Swedish zug' grain which cost slightly more but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening, what colour of kiwi polish is that? It looks almost burgundy, but I've never been able to find anything other than oxblood, which is more purple than I would like -- I use dark tan or light tan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark tan and the occasional black

      Delete
    2. Any chance you could post a few pictures of those boots, if you have them, aged a few more years?

      And back to the colour question--did they become more honey/burgundy coloured on their own, combined with the polish? I wouldn't have guessed that it was dark tan polish that changed them so.

      Delete
  8. this is nice and good looking shoes, commonly attract every personit's very useful office purpose it is nice blog thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just ordered a pair of these in Brown Latigo leather which is probably best described as a chestnut colour. Really looking forward to getting them and having seen this blog will be using Kiwi Dark Tan polish on them.

    ReplyDelete