Sunday 5 January 2014

Vintage mens scarves

Vintage men's scarves can be difficult to find, often they are mistakenly displayed amongst the ladieswear section of charity shops.
They offer a splash of colour to the winter wardrobe which can often be quite drab.
The three main British manufacturers are Tootal, Sammy and Duggie......there are others but these are the three that turn up most frequently in charity shops and vintage fairs.

Here's an old Tootal which is made from a 'Rayon' fabric most probably pre 1950 in date.
The early Tootal scarves rayon fabric has a soft almost cotton type feel to it, later scarves became more plastic in their feel.


Here's an overall shot of the scarf.


These two were recent finds one is an early 'Sammy' scarf which again is made from a rayon fabric though it is a far more silky feeling cloth than the early Tootals it's also two sided the reverse being a gold colour.


Detail of the Sammy and Tootal labels both of which may be very early?

Here's a picture of the Sammy showing the reverse side too, tassels are a pale blue in colour.


A later Sammy that has one side in wool and the other in a man made material though I am unsure of it's composition due to no label being present. 



It was found in the same shop as the Welch Margetson pictured with it below, again this is wool backed. 



Here's two I found a while ago, the left 'paisley one is I strongly suspect a 'Duggie' or 'Sammy' item but has no label' 
The dark green one at it's side (possibly an evening scarf)has no label at all but feels like silk or rayon. 

Below is a two sided wool/rayon Sammy and a Tootal that for some reason has had it's tassels removed.

This last one is a very luxurious item that sadly has no makers label but feels very much like silk, it is unworn and quite beautiful in the flesh as it were.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Stefano
    Do you know the history of Sammy Scarves, or where I might research it? Sammy was my great great grandfather and I want to find out more.
    Thanks, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, sadly I'd don't. ....I did wonder if Sammy and Duggie were sister companies or whether they were made in the same factory as dimensionally many are identical.
    It would be interesting to hear anything you may have information wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, sadly I'd don't. ....I did wonder if Sammy and Duggie were sister companies or whether they were made in the same factory as dimensionally many are identical.
    It would be interesting to hear anything you may have information wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, sadly I'd don't. ....I did wonder if Sammy and Duggie were sister companies or whether they were made in the same factory as dimensionally many are identical.
    It would be interesting to hear anything you may have information wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My great great great grandfather emigrated from Lodz which was then the Prussian Empire to Manchester in the 1840s to start the factory Sammy's Scarves...assuming this is the same one. I believe my family lost the factory when my great grandfather went bankrupt in the 1920s.

    ReplyDelete