Tuesday 12 February 2013

Itchy & Scratchy, Smooth & Shiney

Strange title it may be but it's a pretty good description of two of my favourite materials (the other is velvet but that as they say is another story!)

I've long hated wool as reminders of itchy childhood jumpers, shirts and dressing gowns put me off it for years!
As I've got older my hatred of it has wained probably as I don't seem to be as affected by it's inherent itchyness anymore -unless it's hot in which case I wouldn't be wearing it anyway!
Now I can enjoy it for all it's virtues, I love to see all the different weaves and patterns that are available and tweeds especially give me a buzz, even the slightly funny smell wool gives off now brings me a comfortable feeling inside.

Now silk has always been a favourite of mine, I love it's sheen and it's differing textures, the way it slips through your fingers and it's softness and lightness next to the skin, the downside can be ties and cravats often come loose due to the materials inherent slippyness but hey it's silk so I can live with that!

As an example of both here's a few silk pocket squares I bagged as a lot recently and a nice Munrospun wool tie;




No comments:

Post a Comment